General Troubleshooting Tips
- Smoke Detectors won't work when tested: Press the test button or test with approved smoke detector smoke spray, replace battery.
- Smoke Detector beeps: replace battery.
- No power to plugs or switches: Check and reset breaker panel. Check and reset all GFI (Ground Fault Indicator) outlets (located in kitchen, bathrooms, utility rooms, and garages). Check if plug works off a wall switch.
- Garbage disposal doesn't work: When on, do you hear a buzz? If you do not hear a buzz, hit the reset button on the bottom of the disposal and test. If you hear a buzz, turn off disposal and unplug from wall. Mounted on the side of the disposal or side of cabinet may be an Allen Wrench. Put the wrench in the center shaft and gently twist back and forth (this un-jams the disposal). Remove the object that is causing the obstruction, turn back on, and test.
- No hot water: Check and reset breaker in power panel. Check the temperature setting and make sure it is set to a medium temperature, not on low or vacation mode.
- Plumbing or fixtures leak: Turn off water fixture, turn off water at supply line and notify your property manager immediately.
- Toilet is plugged: Plunge and test.
- No heat: Check thermostat. If electronic thermostat, replace batteries if applicable. Check that furnace covers are seated properly. Check that a switch that looks like an ordinary light switch is turned on (located in or near the furnace room). Did you pay your utilities on time or issue an order to disconnect the utility?
- Dishwasher won't drain: Clean food out of bottom of dishwasher.
- Dishwasher grinds or no water is coming in: Turn off, if no water is on the bottom pour two large glasses of water into the bottom and re-start. If problem continues, call your property manager and discontinue use.
- Calcium build-up in Dishwasher: Pour a little bit of vinegar in the dishwasher and run while empty.
- Refrigerator too warm or too cold: Check if thermostat in refrigerator is set correctly.
- No Air conditioning: Check all circuit breakers. Check the filter. If it is dirty, replace filter and test.
- No electricity: Check all breakers, flip them hard to the 'off' position and then hard to the 'on' position.
- Filters: It is the tenant's responsibility to change the furnace filter and refrigerator filter (if applicable).
I put the wrong type of soap in the dishwasher, what do I do? http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Dish-Soap-from-a-Dishwasher
How to fix a dishwasher that will not drain
How do I unclog a drain? - http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/plumbing/how-to-unclog-a-drain.htm
How to use a plunger on a slow draining sink - http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/unplug_sink.htm#step3
I lost electrical power or need to reset the circuit breaker. What do I do? - http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/repair/how-to-reset-a-circuit-breaker.htm
I lost power to an electrical outlet, but not to the rest of the house. What do I do? - http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-understand-electrical-outlets.htm
Garbage Disposal Topics+
How to use a garbage disposal
How to unjam the garbage disposal. - http://appliances.wonderhowto.com/how-to/unjam-garbage-disposal-78951/
How to reset your garbage disposal
What do I do if I smell gas? - http://www.angieslist.com/plumbing/gas-leaks.htm
Heating and Air Conditioning Topics+
How do I use my thermostat to control heating and cooling? - http://energy.gov/energysaver/thermostats
How do I change my furnace filter?
Smoke Detector Topics+
How do I test the smoke detector? - http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Smoke-Detector